The cough is nature’s way of clearing out our lungs and respiratory system. Some coughs are productive, and bring up mucus or phlegm, while other coughs are dry and nonproductive. In both cases a cough is a reflex action that is difficult to control. For those who suffer from a dry cough that is preventing them from sleeping or is just plain annoying, there are plenty of all natural, homeopathic treatments that very effectively provide relief. These are ten of the most popular, most effective natural remedies for dry cough.
1. Run your shower with very hot water long enough to create a very steamy environment, then spend fifteen minutes there, taking deep, calming breaths. The very humid air will hydrate your lungs. A humidifier or vaporizer can also be very helpful.
2. Your grandmother was right – sucking on hard candies, throat lozenges or honey drops will coat your throat and calm a cough. Vitamin C lozenges are particularly helpful, as they not only work on the cough but also treat the cold and boost your immune system.
3. Gargle with salt water three times a day.
4. Apple cider vinegar is known to calm inflammation and seems to cure everything! Take a tablespoonful two to three times per day.
5. Make a paste of soaked almonds with honey and swallow a spoonful two to three times per day.
6. Ginger is an excellent treatment for a dry cough that can be taken in a few different ways. Ginger juice mixed with honey will sooth a cough, or you can make a tea by steeping freshly grated ginger and lemon juice in hot water.
7. Grapes mixed with honey are known to work wonders for a cough. You can use fresh grapes, or take raisins (which are dried grapes) and grind them into a paste with honey and take a teaspoon each day to fight a chronic cough.
8. Onion juice may be a bit tough from a taste perspective, but it is very effective against a cough.
9. Fresh betel leaf (also known as paan) makes a great cough suppressant. Take basil leaves, ginger and some whole cloves, roll the betel leaf around it, and chew on it for about five minutes. Swallowing the juice that is released provides immediate relief.
10. Making a turmeric powder with carom seeds has a great antiseptic effect, and helps fight off a cough as well as the cold that caused it.
A dry cough can be very irritating, but you can use any of these remedies to get rid of it quickly.